sábado, 10 de noviembre de 2007

Baños, etc.

No, I´m not going to write about Ecuadorian bathrooms, for those of you who know Spanish (that´s what baño literally means), but just in case you are curious...they are generally disgusting, cost 10 cents to use and 20 cents if you want toilet paper, don´t usually include a toilet seat, and never have soap or mirrors.

Anyway, my trip to Baños (in this case, meaning baths) last weekend was excellent, even though I did not set foot on a bike - what I so looked forward to doing while I was there. Instead, we opted to spend Saturday white water rafting! I had never done it before so I couldn´t pass up the chance, and I´m so glad I didn´t! I was a little bit nervous (especially after the 20 minute SPANISH explanation of what to do if you fall out), but it turned out to be a very cool, trilling experience. We had a few close calls (I think everyone ALMOST fell out at one point or another), but luckily I was really good at the "inside!" command and flew into the middle of the raft before our guide even finished yelling the word every single time. For you experienced rafters out there, we mostly took on class 4 rapids...and for those who have no idea what that means, our guide told us at the end that he was "pretty impressed with our skils, since the majority of rafts flip at some point on that course." Good. Thank you for not telling me that beforehand.

Other than that, we spent our time in Baños eating really good food, taking in the nightlife, and riding chivas (open air bus type things that also have "seats" on an attached back platform and the roof), and enjoying the beautiful mountainous scenery. Although it was a really fun trip and I´m glad I went, it was surprisingly nice to be back in Quito on Sunday afternoon. For the first time, I got that feeling that I remember so distinctly after returning from one particular weekend trip in London as well...It´s good to be home.

I´ve been sitting here for 5 minutes trying to determine what to write about next and nothing is popping out in my memory as extrememly blog-worthy, so I´m going to spare you and leave it at that for now. Thanks for reading though. Miss you and love you all!

No hay comentarios: